04 May 2014

Baler: Of Conquering Fears and Winning Over It

This weekend is one of the most special for me. It has been a while since I went to somewhere with a set of really close friends. We went to Baler, Aurora. 


Many first happened to me during this weekend in Baler - first time to cross a body of water by foot, first time to swim in a falls, first time to surf, first time to climb a tree (sort of) and first time to be inside of it (the tree).

Growing up in the city, I never really had a chance to do this. And primarily, the reason why I am scared of trying unfamiliar things. But I have to, so at least once in my lifetime, I can tell I have done those.

Crossing the stream to get to the mother falls is the first hurdle. And as if going there is not difficult enough, getting near the dam and the falls is yet another challenge. I am afraid of getting drown, but I need to let go. I did, I almost did it. 

Surfing was the next. I accepted the fact that I will never get to enjoy it. It would be too hard for me. And so I thought. The first few waves are really nerve wrecking. Smashing both a huge amount of sea water and the board on your face. The first time the instructor had to let go of my board, the speed of the wave made me panic. But then I got the hang of it. And so I made it. Little by little, I got to stand and balance. I did. It was not that hard as I think it was. 

Balete tree got my hesitation. I never want to come in and never want to climb.  But then I tried. I did it. And it was fun.

I was born and raised in the city. I am a city boy as what everyone calls me the whole trip. The concrete jungle made me the coward that I was and am today. The countryside is there to take that cowardice away from me. Baler did its part. And I want to believe other provinces will, in the future. 

Baler made me realize, that in order to see the goodness of life, you have to be brave, you have to cross rivers of fears, to plunge into deep waters of doubt, and ride the waves of failure. You have to conquer it.

I did. I believe so.

No comments: