27 September 2011

Aged

I found myself almost into tears when I saw an old man eating what he founds edible in the trash bin. I wonder where his children are, or does he ever had one.

You see, in this very progressive country, which I believe the generation of this man was the one who made it possible, many are still unaware of what is really happening around them. This country, who probably has ten times more national budget than what te Philippines have lacks compensation on the aged. I know you will say there are a lot of street elders in the Philippines as well, but picture the nations' wealth as a whole and you'll understand why it is happening in the Philippines.

You can not find a 60 year old lady attending to your burger at McDonalds, or cleaning your office toilets, or even watching over the direction posts. In here, it is the usual scene.

In a country where respect for elders are regarded as a national holiday, how can children abandon their old parents? I just can't equate respect with neglect.

Just my two cents.

No comments: