27 August 2013

On How The World Sees Me

I grew up in the world where greatness of a man is measured on the physicals - how good he is in basketball, how tall he'll be,  how gwapo and macho he'll become. 

On these premises, the world had judged me - I am not one of them.

I remember I never had a single game of basketball, because they won't allow me to. I am too short, I am too weak. It was in grade six that I had a chance to hold a basketball for the very first time, in a P.E. class. But I never was allowed to play a single game, because I don't know how to play, I can't even dribble. I thought it will be the time that I'll learn how to play the game, after all, the class was there for us to learn, but it was not, because I am not one of them. I am the least. And on that aspect, I was. 

I am short and was underweight. My chest protrudes (I was born with what they call "pigeon chest") and my posture was bad. That alone is a proof to them I am not one of them. I am the least.

I have crooked teeth. I once asked my parents to have braces to correct it but they told me I shouldn't. That would be my lucky charm, they say. I guess they were wrong. In the eyes of many, I am not lucky to have it. I am the least.

 My eyesight was bad, I have to wear glasses. I thought that's cool, but it wasn't. In the eyes of many, it made me look even worst. I am a nerd, a dork. I am the least. 

Few years before turning 30, my hair started to get thin. I thought it would make me look sexy, but it wasn't. I never was associated with whatever has to do with the sex appeal. I am the least.

Insecurities made my life as a child empty, and now grown up, still haunts me.

I tried achieving more in school, work and even in the service. I thought, probably when I get good grades, or perform good at work and service, they'll see me as one of them. But it wasn't, because they continuously judge people on the way he look. I tried to be the greatest, but the world keeps on telling me I am not.

I know I should not feel this, I want to believe the world is lying on me. And they'll soon see me the otherwise. It is no longer in me to prove that, I had proven them enough. 

No comments: